Trump administration denies visas to Palestinians for UN General Assembly
- Why is the Trump administration denying visas to Palestinians for the UN General Assembly?
- What significance does the visa refusal have in the context of international policy towards Palestine?
- What arguments does the Trump administration present to justify its decision towards the Palestinian Authority?
The United States' decision comes in response to a planned initiative by several Western countries to recognize a Palestinian state at the annual global gathering. It pits the United States and Israel against almost the entire rest of the world in their policies toward the Gaza Strip .
More and more countries intend to recognize PalestineIn late July, President Emmanuel Macron, in a post on X, not only reiterated his political will to recognize Palestine but also, for the first time, provided a specific date: the solemn, official announcement will take place during the UN General Assembly next September. In his statement, Macron emphasized the urgent need to end the war in the Gaza Strip and rescue the civilian population there. He emphasized the need for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, and the delivery of massive humanitarian aid to the residents of Gaza.
A few days later, the British Prime Minister followed Macron's lead, also announcing recognition of Palestine, but making this gesture contingent on Israel's decision. He announced that Britain would recognize a Palestinian state if Israel did not agree to a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and take steps towards a lasting peace. This has not happened so far. In fact, Netanyahu has decided to launch another offensive in the Gaza Strip , with the goal of completely conquering it.
Canada and Australia also plan to join the group of almost 150 countries that have already recognized Palestine.
An unprecedented step by the United StatesAs Axios reports, denying Palestinians visas for the UN General Assembly in September would be an unprecedented move. Under the host-nation agreement with the UN, the US government is obligated to allow delegations from around the world to visit New York to participate in the General Assembly.
The Palestinian presidency in a statement said it "deeply regrets" the decision, which "is in clear contradiction with international law and the UN Headquarters Agreement," and called on the United States to reconsider the decision.
How the Donald Trump administration justifies its decisionThe State Department said the decision was based on the Palestinian Authority's failure to unequivocally condemn the October 7 attack, alleged incitement to terrorism in its education system, and international lobbying for international recognition of its statehood.
Contrary to US claims, Abbas condemned the October 7 attack in an official letter sent to French President Emmanuel Macron several weeks ago.
Another reason for the decision is the Palestinian Authority's "lawfare" campaigns ( a strategy of using or abusing law as a substitute for traditional military means to achieve an operational goal – ed.) against Israel internationally. One of the most significant examples is the attempt to bring Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to trial for alleged crimes against humanity committed in the Gaza Strip.
"The United States remains open to re-engagement consistent with our law if the Palestinian Authority/PLO fulfills its commitments and demonstrably takes concrete steps to return to a constructive path of compromise and peaceful coexistence with the State of Israel," the State Department said.
Sources say the Trump administration is trying to stop Abbas from issuing a "declaration of independence" during his speech to the Assembly – a step being considered by the Palestinians.
RP